Bilingual Family Engagement Specialist
Full time – 240 days per year
Salary: $30,000 – 38,000 (DOE)
Lake County School District is seeking a Family Engagement Specialist to provide services to students and families to address issues that may interfere with the student’s academic learning and educational process. Services provided include direct family support, family education and family leadership opportunities. Working with parents, school staff and community-based resources, the coordinator’s chief responsibility is to remove barriers that limit a student’s access to a fulfilling an equitable educational experience.
- Provide support to individual families to address specific concerns or incidents related to their child’s education. Identify the student’s/family’s needs and the school’s needs and facilitate communication between the student/family and the school to meet these needs. Arrange and attend meetings between families and school staff. Initial estimate is that the Family Engagement Specialist will work with 5-10 families, per month across the district (K-12) to provide family support.
- Provide service coordination as needed in collaboration with community agencies to meet student and family needs related to the educational process.
- Provide a welcoming, culturally competent environment and a high level of customer service to all students and families on a daily basis. Respond to family questions and requests in person and via telephone/email as related to the school and the educational process.
- Be available both during and after school hours to respond to family needs and questions. Flexible full-time schedule. Initial estimate is that the Family Engagement Specialist will respond to 20-30 family needs and questions each week.
- Visit with and listen to families both in and out of school to understand their needs and how LCSD can better serve them. Coordinate surveys and other data collection methods to measure needs and services.
- Document all family interactions and collect other data as needed.
- Convene, organize and collaborate with school- and district-level parent committees.
- Attend parent committee meetings, parent events and District Accountability meetings. Initial estimate is that the family engagement specialist will attend 1-3 evening meetings each month.
- Work with partner agencies and consultants as needed to develop and implement family leadership programs.
- Document all family leadership activities and collect other data as needed.
- Become knowledgeable about the school system and its services. Provide information and education to families about the school system, including who to contact and how to access services and programs.
- Assist with the development of programming and education for all LCSD families that seek to increase families’ knowledge of the school system and how it can serve them, with a special focus on under-represented populations. The family engagement specialist will develop, advertise and facilitate a minimum of one family education activity or initiative (i.e. speaker, training; listening tour; video or web training) per month.
- Contact parents and families through phone calls, home visits and meetings at school or district site in order to encourage participation in school and or district activities and events.
- Provide information to parents concerning district policy and procedures such as registration, curriculum, assessment, discipline etc.as stipulated in the Code of Conduct, LCSD Policies.
- Document all family education activities and collect other data as needed.
Translation & Interpretation
- Train parents and school staff in best practices with regard to language interpretation. Provide training in district systems including telephone interpretation.
- Recruit interpreters willing to work in the schools and train them in topics such as confidentiality.
- Help schools schedule in-person interpreters when needed, i.e. for parent-teacher conferences.
- As time permits, serve as the on-site interpreter/translator for high needs or emergency contacts from Spanish speaking parents, as escalated by secretaries or administrators (may include verbal or written communication). Create system to support high/needs or emergency contacts when the Parent Engagement Coordinator is not immediately available.
- High school diploma or equivalent required
- Fully bilingual in English and Spanish (speaking and writing)
- Experience with family services work. Experience working with Lake County families a plus.
- Ability to work effectively with culturally diverse populations
- Exceptional communication skills
- Strong computer skills, including email, word processing and spreadsheets
- Commitment to equity in education and the belief that all students and families can succeed
- Ability and commitment to maintain confidentiality of information
- Bachelor’s degree, preferably with social work or human services focus (or demonstrated equivalent experience)
- Commitment to the education of students as the primary responsibility of the district
- Integrity and reliability in establishing and maintaining effective working relationships with district personnel and families
- Exceptional oral and written communication skills with individuals and groups
- Ability to recognize the importance of safety in the workplace
- Ability to work some evenings
- Ability to be available during after school hours (to be defined) to take parent phone calls
This Job Description is not intended to be an all-inclusive list of duties, responsibilities or qualifications associated with the job. Specific duties may vary or additional duties may be assigned by the location.
Interested candidates should contact: Kerri Quinlan