Recess and Activity Coach (LCIS)
LCIS is hiring a Recess and Activity Coach to support a 2-year project funded by the Colorado Health Foundation. The positions will use the Playworks strategy to lead organized recess activities, support in-classroom brain breaks, and increase social-emotional learning through play. Playworks strategies specialize in improving school climate, social emotional health, and physical activity.
Recess and Activity Coach-Lake County Intermediate School (Grant Funded)
August – May annually (164 days/year)
Salary: $19,680-$22,000/year based on experience, includes benefits
Daily Schedule: 10am-6pm (anticipated)
Grades supported: 3rd-6th
The Recess Coach (on the Recess Team) supports recess and in-classroom physical activity at school, leading the way for impact through play, and supporting all staff and students during recess. The Recess and Activity Coach encourages proactive engagement in the success of recess, the development of students, and a positive impact on school climate. S/he does this through leading and participating in games, proactively managing students through use of attention getters, signals, and transitions, and engaging positively with students and other staff.
Lake County Intermediate School is working with the Playworks model to make recess a fun, inclusive time for every student in our community. Playworks is the leading national nonprofit using play to transform schools. A Playworks recess creates a place for every kid on the playground to feel included, be active, and build valuable social and emotional skills. You can learn more at www.playworks.org.
- Independently manages all recess periods and supervision of the Junior Coach Program
- Supports school staff with developing skills for effective in-classroom physical activity
- Participates as a member of a team in providing preventative activity and sensory breaks for identified students either one-one or in small groups
- Participates as a member of a team in developing high quality after school climate and culture through play
- Model Playworks core values, program implementation, group management, and rapport building strategies for students and school staff
- Attends Playworks trainings which may take place during or out of school time
- Meets monthly with Principal and After School Director regarding program quality
Profile for placement:
- Accessible to all recess periods and after school time throughout the year
- Desire to learn skills to support recess programming
- Ability to engage and inspire students
- Ability to set clear goals and follow through with flexible and creative problem solving tools
Professional Development & Resources:
Recess Coaches may be provided the following training resources as part of their role:
- Ongoing coaching and consultation in game facilitation, group management, safety and systems, youth leadership, and program assessment throughout the school year
- Access to Playworks Playbook, Recess Coach Manual, and other resources
- Experience with childhood development
- Experience working with large groups of youth
- Experience in positively redirecting student behavior
- Excellent communication skills
- Strong organizational skills and attention to details
- CPR/First Aid required upon employment
- Bilingual preferred
To apply, please email a resume and cover letter to Kerri Quinlan, Healthy Schools Director, at email@example.com by October 12th, 2018.