Special Education Paraprofessional (Part-Time)
Job Type: Part-Time (average 4 hours/day for academic school year)
West Park Elementary School is seeking an individual to assist teachers as a team within our Intensive Supports Room for students who are on an IEP, to ensure that the learning environment is calm, joyful, and enriching for all students. Additional support for students who are in the general education classroom, and on an IEP, may also be included.
Essential Job Tasks Include:
- Implement and deliver with fidelity teacher-created lessons for students according to IEP goals, asking questions for clear understanding of direction.
- Supervise students either in the classroom or in small groups.
- Working directly with one-on-one students, in both classroom and other settings; implement learning activities with a focus on social-emotional learning, communication skills and behavior choices, and academics.
- Using CPI and sensory interventions to help de-escalate when student may become agitated and physically aggressive.
- Working with students with sensory/processing disorders requiring competencies in patience, flexibility, and consistency.
- Supplementing learning activities with brain breaks, time outs, and intervention as needed.
- Using first responder list for behavior or academic issues, as needed.
- Cooperating/collaborating with building staff to help move students forward.
- Supervising students before and after school, at lunchtime in the cafeteria, during recess or at other times during the day – within 4-hour work limits.
- Applicants must hold a high school diploma or a GED.
- Applicants must pass all required background checks and fingerprinting.
- Bilingual (Spanish/English) preferred.
Interested candidates should submit a classified application and resume to Kathleen Fitzsimmons