News from LCHS
Dear LCHS Families & Community:
The MS Fall athletics awards recognition is November 6, starting at 6pm in the HS Cafeteria. The HS Fall athletics awards recognition will take place November 9, 6:30pm in the HS auditorium.
News from the Counseling Office:
- SAT retake is full for the November 4th testing. If you are planning to retake the SAT you need to get registered now for December 2nd in Salida or wait until next year in March. If you need help registering please come see Mrs. Kerrigan. The counseling department can transport the first 7 who sign-up for that day.
- November 6th the counseling department will be taking sophomores only to Western State College in Gunnison. We will depart the high school at 8:15 am and arrive back by 5:30pm
- Friday, December 8th the counseling department will be taking high school students to a college visit in Denver. They will visit Regis University and Metro State University. First 40 students to sign up may attend.
During the school day on November 7th and 8th, all 7th and 8th-grade students will be participating in a fire ecology fieldwork (outdoor, hands-on learning) experience for their science class. This fieldwork is considered fieldwork for which you already signed a waiver at registration. While we hope all students participate in fieldwork to enhance their learning, you may opt-out. If you choose for your child not to participate in this fieldwork, you must submit a request to your child’s school prior to the fieldwork experience. Opt-out forms can be obtained in the front office at your child’s school.
Please ensure your child comes to school prepared for the activity. As your student will be outdoors most of the day, please ensure they wear adequate (warm) clothing layers, bring a backpack, closed-toed shoes, sunscreen, a hat, sunglasses, and a water bottle.
Michele DeWine invites parents to volunteer for Jr. High Science Fieldwork on November 7th and 8th, day trips, from 8 am to 4pm.
Standards based Fieldwork includes:
- Fire ecology
- Building a fire
- Cooking on a fire
- Flame tests in the fire (periodic table)
- Fire ecology
- Prescribed burn
- Human impact
Major State Standards covered:
- Physical and Chemical change
- Physical and Chemical properties
- The Law of Conservation of Mass, Energy..
We will need parent supervision assistance, with lunch, and walking around from site to site. Please contact Michele DeWine if you are able to volunteer, firstname.lastname@example.org, 719-293-0130.
Be sure to read the attached letter and flyers from Lucy Trankina regarding an international exchange program called Youth for Understanding.
November 4 MS Boys Basketball (7/8) vs. Buena Vista @ LCIS 10:00
November 4 MS Boys Basketball (6th grade) tournament @ St. Clare 8:00
November 6 MS Fall Athletic Recognition 6:00 LCHS Cafeteria
November 7 MS Boys Basketball (7/8) vs. East Grand @ LCIS 4:30
November 8 All Star Volleyball @ Arrupe 7:00
November 9 Rocky Mountain Balfour rep will be here to take orders for graduation announcements, class rings, letter jackets, etc. right after school and again at the fall sport recognition
November 9 HS Fall Athletic Recognition 6:30 LCHS Auditorium
November 10 First Day of Formal Practice HS Winter Sports
November 10 MS Boys Basketball (6/7/8) vs. Summit @ LCIS 4:00
November 11 All Star Boys Soccer site TBD
November 11 MS Boys Basketball (7/8) @ Buena Vista 10:00
November 13 MS Boys Basketball (7/8) vs. VMS @ LCIS 4:00
November 13 MS Boys Basketball (6th grade) vs. VMS @ 6th Street Gym 4:00
November 14 MS Boys Basketball (7/8) vs. Salida @ LCIS 4:00
November 15 Winter Coaches/Parent/Athlete Preseason Meeting @ LCHS Cafeteria 7:00
November 16 MS Boys Basketball (6/7/8) vs. Gypsum Creek @ LCIS 4:15
November 17 No School ~ PD Day
November 20-24 No School ~ Thanksgiving Break