Important News from LCHS . . .
As you may or may not have heard, students across the country are planning to walk out of school at 10am on Wednesday, March 14th, to honor the victims of the shooting in Florida and to demand change. As a school district we support students being informed and civically engaged. In this particular instance we are neither encouraging nor discouraging participation. Our student council is choosing to participate and is organizing interested students. We are supporting them with logistics to make sure it’s a well-run event, as well as ensuring all students are honored and respected in their choice to participate or not.
Students who chose to participate will walk out in front of the school. They will hear a few words from student council and will then participate in the 17 minutes of silence. Students who chose not to participate will stay in class. When it’s over we will simply continue business as usual in school. We will divide up our staff to ensure supervision and support for all students.
Please reach out to Mr. Cairns with any questions.
Lake County High School Principal
Phone: 719-486-6970 (office)
Phone: 719-293-1232 (cell)
We have a high school student, Cormac O’Harrow, coming from DC to intern this summer with the Herald Democrat. His father is a reporter for the Washington Post and he is excited to live here this summer and work in Leadville. Please reach out directly to Robert at Robert.OHarrow@washpost.com if your family has a room he could rent during the summer.
Coffee with the principal— in Spanish on March 14th, we would love to invite parents to come have coffee with Mr. Cairns, 8:00 am – 9:00 am, LCHS cafeteria. We will have some coffee and Mr. Cairns will make a few comments on some of the instructional focuses at the HS. Parents will then be invited to walk classrooms for about 20 minutes and then debrief what they saw. Our goal is to build some community among parents as well as deepen parent understanding about our instructional approaches in the HS.
Notes from February 13 and February 27, 2018 Board of Education Meeting:
- We met at Lake County High School to hear from the leadership team about academic achievement, dual enrollment, pre collegiate programs, and the implementation of the new graduation requirements.
- We approved a Master Plan contract as we look toward the future of our school facilities. We will be talking about this with the community in detail as it develops.
- We heard a special update from Kate Bartlett, Mike McHargue, and Bunny Taylor on school safety measures.
- We continued to discuss the Urban Renewal Authority Agreement with our Chief Financial Officer Kate Bartlett and Lake County School District Board Director Stephanie McBride; Stephanie serves as the URA Board Member representing the School District.
Coming up on March 13 at 7 PM at Lake County Intermediate School Library
NOTE THE SPECIAL LOCATION!
- We will focus on the Lake County Intermediate School and hear from its leadership team about progress toward its goals. Join us to learn more about your intermediate school!
- We will be voting on an intergovernmental agreement with our BOCES (Board of Cooperative Educational Services).
- We will be voting on our agreement with the Leadville Urban Renewal Authority.
Your school board: Amy Frykholm 970-333-1342; Stephanie McBride 719-293-0155; Ellie Solomon 303-562-5503; Jeff Fiedler 720-209-8852; Eudelia Contreras 970-406-1624.
March 9 HS Girls Soccer @ Center 3:00
March 10 HS Girls Soccer @ GVR 10:00
March 10 HS Track Banana Belt Classic @ Dutch Clark Stadium Pueblo, CO Time TBA
March 10 Project Dream Silent Auction & Dinner @ Tennessee Pass Nordic 5:30-8:30
March 12 HS Girls Soccer @ Jefferson 4:00
March 14 Coffee with the Principal, Spanish, LCHS Cafeteria 8:00 – 9:00 AM
March 14 HS Music Ensembles Concert LCHS Auditorium 7:00
March 16 HS Track Center Invite @ Monte Vista HS 9:00
March 16 End of Quarter
March 19-23 Spring Break ~ No School
March 28 Panther Pride Meeting 7:00 LCHS Cafeteria