News from LCHS
High school yearbooks are on sale! The cost is $40. Come to the main office to purchase your yearbook.
7th and 8th grade science students in Ms. Hokkanen’s class will spend the school day outdoors at Hayden Meadows on May 15th. They will take water quality samples and identify ecological factors that influence a healthy system. As your students will be outdoors much of the day, please ensure they wear adequate (warm) clothing layers, bring a backpack, closed-toed shoes, sunscreen, a hat, sunglasses, and a water bottle.
The Historic Tabor Home Museum and the Historic Tabor Opera House are seeking part-time seasonal tour guides. Interested candidates should possess an interest in the rich history of Leadville and Lake County. Prospective guides should enjoy sharing that history with people from all walks of life. Position pays $10.20/hr, hours are flexible and training will be provided. Candidates must possess strong interpersonal skills and enjoy interacting with the public.
Applications are available at the Administration Services Office in City Hall, The Tabor Opera House and online at http://www.cityofleadville.com. Positions open until filled. Please call Sarah at 719-486-2092 with questions. The City of Leadville is an Equal Opportunity Employer
Panther of the Week: Cheyenne Havens
Panther of the Week is organized by Panther Pride and seeks to recognize outstanding students for work in athletics, extracurricular activities or academics. Students are nominated by teachers and coaches and then voted on by a alumni, students and parents from Panther Pride. This week Cheyenne was nominated by her teacher for outstanding work ethic and dedication to school and grades. Please congratulate her as you see her in the community. She will also get to have lunch with the Lion’s club and will be featured with other Panthers of the Week in the Herald Democrat.
Please join us at the next Panther Pride meeting Wednesday, May 9, 2018 in the LCHS cafeteria at 7pm. Everyone is welcome.
May is always a very busy month with many school activities and trips planned. Be sure to check the high school web site often, http://www.lakecountyschools.net/lchs/ and the school district event calendar, http://www.lakecountyschools.net/about-us/calendar-2/ to stay informed with the most up-to-date information.
Just a few weeks to go. Please encourage students to work hard. Crew teachers are reaching out if students are at risk of retention or summer school. Please look at grades with students and push them towards the highest GPA possible. Failure is not part of our culture at LCHS and students will need summer school or other options to account for failed classes.
Finals Week: Finals are 15% of students’ final grades. Make sure they are preparing for finals and ready to attend and do well on final exams.
Board Notes from April 10, 2018:
- The most important work of the meeting was dedicated to West Park Elementary. We heard from the instructional leadership team, including Kathleen Fitzsimmons, Allison Riegel, Kelly Ridgeway, and Clare Mulcey. We were especially impressed by the coordinated, active, and engaging expeditions leading up to the Celebration of Learning. It is exciting for us to see the Habits of a Learner becoming second nature for our students and well as the high quality work they are producing.
- Likewise, we received an encouraging report from Kerri Quinlan, the Healthy Schools Director, about health and wellness efforts in the schools. We are very proud of the Gold level Healthy Schools Champion award to our district.
- We discussed new metrics for the strategic plan that will monitor our progress from the 2018-2019 school year to the 2020-2021 school year.
Coming up on May 8 at 7 PM at the District Office
- The BOE will conduct a Year in Review. What were the highlights? What are our struggles? What has this year taught us?
- We will say good-bye to student representative, Bryce Allen, and thank him for his work. Good luck, Bryce!
Your school board: Amy Frykholm 970-333-1342; Stephanie McBride 719-293-0155; Ellie Solomon 303-562-5503; Jeff Fiedler 720-209-8852; Eudelia Contreras 970-406-1624.
May 4 HS Track Pueblo Twilight @ Dutch Clark Stadium Pueblo, CO Time TBA
May 4 Art Show @ LCIS 5:00-9:00
May 4 CMC Graduation @ CMC 6:00
May 5 HS Girl Soccer vs. Bennett @ Community Field 10am
May 5 HS Track Frontier League Meet @ Clear Creek 9:00
May 5 MS Girls Soccer vs. VMS @ Berry Creek MS 11:45 leave time 10:15
May 7 Marching Band Info Night @ LCHS Auditorium 5:00-7:00pm
May 7 Mason’s Top 10% Dinner 6:00 Invitation Only
May 7 HS Track Frontier League Meet @ Jeffco Stadium 2:00
May 8-9 MS Track Peaks League Championships @ HPS 9:00
May 9 Panther Pride Meeting @ LCHS Cafeteria 7:00
May 10 Joe Shields Invite @ West Grand HS 11:30
May 10 LCIS Spring Concert @ LCHS Auditorium 6:00
May 10 NHS Blood Drive @ LCHS 1:00-6:00
May 11 Elitch Gardens Competition Band/Choir
May 12 MS Track Summit Invite @ Summit HS Time TBA
May 12 MS Girls Soccer vs. EVMS @ Avon, Nottingham Park 2:15 leave time 12:45
May 16 Roses Awards Concert, 7-12 Music Ensembles @ LCHS Auditorium 7:00
May 17-19 HS Track State Championships @ Jeffco Stadium Time TBA
May 18 CTE College Visitation Trip
May 19 MS Girls Soccer Finals TBA
May 24 Class Day @ LCHS Auditorium 1:00
May 25 Last Day of School
May 26 Graduation @ LCHS Gymnasium 10am