West Park Parent Weekly Update 9/27/2020
Hello WPE families! I hope you have had a great weekend, and got to enjoy time with friends, family and fall colors!
*Please watch our first, virtual community meeting here –just because we have to dance in separate spaces does not mean we ever stop dancing and celebrating what we do!
*Lake County School District’s 2nd Day Supports Program with 100 Elk will continue for 2 more weeks (through October 8th). Just like the past 4 weeks, students will have time to complete their academic work while at 100 Elk, so they should come with their ‘at-home’ learning packets. If your student(s) have been doing this program, please stay tuned to your texts for more information about this extension. Reach out to Becca Katz with questions: 719.293.5169 (Becca speaks Spanish).
*Virtual Learning Families – keep up the great work on your CDLS courses! We love to see you at our virtual crews each week!
*The Board of Education made the decision on September 22 to remain in the Yellow Phase the entire fall semester. Project Dream will continue to support families in our core values providing Academic Support, Enrichment Activities, and Family Engagement. As of now, we see the most important need in our community being the need for programming for students in K-6 during the school day. Because of this, Project Dream will be shifting efforts to provide in-person support and enrichment for K-6 students during the school day (Monday-Thursday) instead of our original plan to provide in-person programming 4-6pm after school and full days on Fridays. During the fall semester we will not have in-person, after school programming at any level. Additionally, we will not be providing Friday programs for West Park or Lake County Intermediate students.
*West Park Elementary School will continue with the current model of alternating A and B cohorts between in-person instruction at WPE and offering optional, every-other-day support. This programming will last for the rest of first semester, through December 17, 2020. More information will go out to those families who have been in the 100 Elk program with details about the next steps.
*UPDATE: Meals during Yellow Phase Reopening: All meals are now free for all students regardless of free/reduced lunch status. Please be sure to take advantage of the meals LCSD is able to provide!
Please follow this link for details on distribution depending on your student’s learning choice. If you need any accommodations please do not hesitate to reach out to Julie Mehle email@example.com 719-293-1040 (cell) 719-486-6960 (work).
*Due to safety restrictions, we ask that only staff and students come inside the building. If you need to pick up your child early, please call the school office ahead of time so we can have the student ready to send out to you! 719 486 6890.
*Please practice with your child our expectations for being safe at school:
- Safely wearing a face covering. Nose and mouth must be covered with at least two layers of tightly woven materials. We are expecting all students wear a face covering at school, and we are also planning time outside for mask breaks and outdoor instruction when possible!
- Frequent hand washing. After touching any shared object (door handles, banister, pen, etc.) we should wash our hands with warm, soapy water. Rubbing vigorously for at least 20 seconds, rinsing off the soap well and drying thoroughly are important steps.
- Giving social distance between people. We will aim for at least 6 feet of separation during inside times, with times such as recess or PE having looser restrictions.
- Limiting the people in the building to staff and students. This means when you drop off and greet your student, that will occur at your car or bus stop, instead of inside the building.
- Complete a child health-screener before school each day. We’ll have these screener forms for each child and this will be their “ticket” into school each morning. This screener is attached – I recommend you talk with your child about these symptoms. Copies of these screeners were given to you at family orientation conferences. Please let your child’s teacher know if you are running low and we can send home more copies!
- Please be safe when dropping off and picking up your child – remain in your vehicle and stay in the single-file car line. Extra patience is appreciated during these first weeks of school!
Want to read a story with me? Please go to our WPE Bedtime Stories Facebook page! You may recognize some of your favorite Lake County people reading their favorite children’s book!
Are you interested in educational practice or games at home? Please use these links for home support for all students (students know how to log on J):
Lexia Core5 Reading – supplemental reading skill practice that Kinder, 1st and 2nd grade students can use at home (parent/sibling help is only needed if the apple in the corner is red!)
RAZ Kids A-Z – fun reading games which students enjoy! Books are in English and Spanish!
Starfall – free website of different educational games, and you can pay more for full access to all games.
October 12-13 – Picture Retakes
With gratitude for the trust you place in us to educate your children,
Kathleen Fitzsimmons, Principal
West Park Elementary
130 West 12th Street
Leadville, CO 80461
719-486-6890 (school phone)