Job Title: Custodian – Lake County Elementary School (3 positions total – 1 a.m. and 2 p.m.)
Salary Grade: $15/hr
Work Year: 260 days
Reports To: Custodial Director
Purpose of position: The Custodian is responsible for performing custodial duties, minor maintenance and other miscellaneous duties in order to ensure that school buildings and facilities are maintained in a healthy, safe and sanitary manner to guarantee the best learning environment possible.
Daily: Perform daily duties in assigned areas: wash and disinfect classroom desks, chairs and windows; emptying and cleaning trash cans and pencil sharpeners. Vacuum all carpeted areas and mop all floors and stairs. Take down the flag and store properly.
- Clean and sanitize bathrooms, including mirrors, stalls, walls and floors as well as stocking with toilet paper. Fill paper towel dispensers and soap dispensers throughout the building.
- Wash/disinfect all classroom desks, chairs, and windows.
- Clean sinks, countertops, restrooms, remove trash, vacuum floors and mop in faculty areas. Clean hallway furniture and vacuum carpeted areas.
- Clean common room areas, gym, and auditorium during afterschool activities and functions. Follow recycling and composting procedures. Includes picking up trash, sweeping and mopping floors, cleaning bathrooms, and cleaning up spills.
- Spot clean all walls for marks and handprints.
- Keep all custodial closets clean, organized, and stocked. Wash all rags and mop heads at end of shift. Turn off faucets at end of shift. Clean and empty vacuums.
- Write up all maintenance requests when issues are found; perform light maintenance duties such as changing light bulbs, touch up paint, replace batteries, installing pencil sharpeners, etc.
- Keep exterior schools grounds/sidewalks clean from litter.
- When snowing, salt all sidewalks, entryways, and stairs. Shovel all sidewalks as needed (check on periodically, if snowing heavily).
- Respond to alarm calls. Understand all emergency and lockdown procedures. Be able to work weekends for school activities or functions, as needed. Report any concerns to immediate supervisor.
- Ensure all classrooms are locked with lights off.
- Lock all exterior doors. Set alarm system.
- Weekly: Clean all white boards and trays each Friday. Clean inside of trashcans, spot clean all walls, buff floors, and other special projects on early release days.
- Monthly: Perform monthly cleaning duties, including cleaning drain traps in locker room showers, cleaning and sanitizing shower stall walls, and mopping gym floor and under bleachers.
- Annually: Perform annual cleaning duties, including stripping and rewaxing floors; shampooing rugs; washing walls; cleaning tables, desk tops, and counters; removing gum from furniture; washing all windows; stripping and resealing concrete floors; stripping, tacking, and refinishing gym floor.
- Ongoing: Perform other duties as assigned. Light maintenance duties as arise.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
EDUCATION AND TRAINING 2 years of high school, vocational school, or equivalent on-the-job training and experience
EXPERIENCE 0-2 years’ experience in the cleaning field
SKILLS, KNOWLEDGE, & EQUIPMENT Important workplace competencies include: customer focus, time management, perseverance, positive peer relationships, and effective communication. Operating knowledge of hand buffer, high speed buffer, carpet cleaner, and snow blower preferred at hire; required within 2 weeks after hire.
CERTIFICATES, LICENSES, & REGISTRATIONS None required.
SUPERVISION/TECHNICAL RESPONSIBILITY This job has no supervisory responsibilities.
JUDGMENT AND DECISION MAKING Daily work is assigned by Principal or Custodian Manager. Requires cleaning knowledge and ability to follow instructions to complete daily responsibilities. Decision making is guided by custodial checklist and safety and health standards and procedures. Decision making requires collaboration with Principal and Custodial Manager. Errors in decision making could lead to safety or health hazards for students, staff, and the general public. Supervisor is involved only in major decisions.
DIVERSITY OF DUTIES Duties require cross training in safety and cleaning standards and procedures. Duties extend within assigned building.
The physical demands, work environment factors, and mental functions described below are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
PHYSICAL DEMANDS While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to stand and walk. The employee frequently is required to use hands to finger, handle, or feel; reach with hands and arms; operate equipment with hands and wrists, climb or balance on ladder/stepstool; stoop, kneel, crouch, or crawl; and talk or hear. The employee must frequently lift and/or move up to 50 pounds and occasionally move more than 100 pounds. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, depth perception, and ability to adjust focus.
WORK ENVIRONMENT While performing the duties of this job, the employee is occasionally exposed to toxic or caustic chemicals, outside weather conditions, and risk of electrical shock. The noise level in the work environment is usually moderate.
MENTAL FUNCTIONS While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to communicate. Frequently required to coordinate. Occasionally required to compare and analyze.
To apply, please complete a classified employee application (found on LCSD website under employment and applications), email a resume and letter of interest to Eva Mascarenas, Custodial Director.
Equal Opportunity Employer