Lake County is located two hours west of Denver in the heart of Colorado’s highest peaks at 10,200 feet. There are about 7,000 people in Lake County, and Leadville is the main city. Many adults commute to work in the service industry in nearby ski areas. We have a strong history of mining, adventure recreation, and outdoor enthusiasm. Lake County Intermediate School consists of about 300 students in grades 3-6 with three classroom teachers per grade.
Reports To: LCIS Principal
Length of Assignment: Determined by experience and the Special Service Provider Salary Schedule. Full benefits provided. Grant-funded for one year with possibility of continuation.
Purpose of Position: To support students and families dealing with challenges related to COVID-19. This position will work closely with Lake County School District’s counseling and social work team to support district-wide response and recovery efforts in future years.
Duties of this job include, but are not limited to:
* Provides intervention and skill-building for students who have been referred for intensive skill-building and therapeutic supports (individual or group).
* Participates as a member of the District Counseling/Social Work team in addition to the school’s Multi-Tiered System of Support and RtI processes to represent social/emotional and mental health perspectives. Will also participate on Collaborative Problem-Solving teams as needed.
* Utilizes assessment tools to understand student strengths and lagging skills, and to determine an appropriate course of action.
* Supports the lead Social Worker at LCIS with referrals, interventions and support protocols to meet the needs of students related to COVID-19, and builds upon common social/emotional, behavior, and academic goals to deliver services as appropriate.
*Participates in data collection used to measure the impact of interventions and supports, and to demonstrate the impact of the associated grant programs.
* Consults with staff, parents and students about interventions and options for students.
* Works regularly with the school principal and social worker to ensure the needs of all students are being equitably met.
* Refers students in need of therapeutic services to community therapy resources (i.e. School based Health, Sol Vista, etc.)
* Maintains records of contacts and actions taken with each student using SchoolRunner.
* Performs Suicide Risk Assessments and other threat assessments on an as needed basis with support of school social worker.
* Acts as school-based liaison for McKinney Vento programs and services to support housing insecure students.
*Assists in the promotion of a positive school climate and follows school norms and expectations.
* Promotes a positive professional and ethical image of the school district, social emotional and behavioral-mental health supports and special education services.
* Be available by radio to respond as needed to crisis situations.
* Perform other duties as assigned.
* Create schedules collaboratively with principal and other relevant stakeholders. Continuously revisit schedules with the principal and/or social worker to refine and adjust as needed.
* Flexibly adapts to the needs of the school, students, and concerns associated with COVID-19 response.
* 45 minutes per day planning period.
* Half hour, duty free lunch.
* Student supervision duties will be required, such as before and after school and at recess and lunch.
*A workspace will be provided; it may be shared.
*Master’s Degree in Social Work or Counseling required
* CDE and DORA license within 45 days of hire
* Ability to motivate and work with Middle School students grades 3-6 in addition to staff.
* Possess educational and professional experience in counseling
* Experience working with students from diverse backgrounds and a variety of family situations
* Bilingual English/Spanish preferred
* Experience with educational systems and practices, such as RtI, PBIS, and EL preferred
* Experience implementing social/emotional curriculum to both classrooms and small groups
Feel free to contact Kathleen Fitzsimmons, HR Director, with further questions: email@example.com
Lake County School District is an equal opportunity employer