We are seeking a High School Principal!
Job Title: Lake County High School Building Principal
Prepared Date: September 2021
Salary Grade: $ 85,000-$100,000
Work Year: 220 days
Reports To: Superintendent
Start date: *Flexible start date between November 2021 to July 1, 2022
Job Posting Details: The High School Principal position is currently being served in an interim capacity, therefore we have flexibility for the start date of this position based on the employment status of the finalist. This position will be filled no later than July 1, 2022. It may be filled as soon as November 1, 2021.
Lake County High School (LCHS) is a 7th-12th grade public institution providing students with engaging learning opportunities in a safe, inclusive, and welcoming learning environment, and are preparing graduates ready to implement a plan for college or career. Our 7th and 8th grade serves approximately 140 students while our 9th-12th grade supports 275 students. Lake County High School incorporates foundational practices of the Expeditionary Learning model including daily Crew experiences and the inclusion of authentic learning opportunities outside the traditional classroom. The school is situated in a beautiful, recently renovated building with brand new classroom wings. The principal leads an administrative team comprised of an assistant principal, an academic dean and an athletic director.
Position Summary: The High School Principal is responsible for all aspects of managing a school with a focus on academic excellence and personal growth of every student. Through leadership of faculty, the principal will work collaboratively with teachers, staff, students, families and the community to drive academic and character outcomes. The Principal will organize school operations around improvement of instruction and will maintain a safe and orderly environment, upholding state laws, contracts and District Policies. The Principal will be held accountable to the Colorado Principal Evaluation expectations and rubric. The successful candidate will be prepared to engage in the following work:
ESSENTIAL DUTIES & RESPONSIBILITIES:
The LCHS Principal will work with teacher leaders, the faculty, staff, students, families and the community to pursue excellence in the following ways:
INSTRUCTIONAL & SCHOOL LEADERSHIP
- Provide exemplary leadership to all members of the school community to achieve outstanding performance in the school’s mission of ensuring each student meets grade level standards
- Set ambitious school-wide vision and goals aligned with the Board of Education goals and the District Strategic Plan.
- Lead a school improvement of student achievement and growth by leading the educational program.
- Effectively manage faculty and staff
- Collaborate and lead faculty and staff to develop a unified culture around principles of championing students, expecting excellence, modeling positive culture and creating a culture of greatness.
- Oversee curriculum and instruction to ensure high quality experiences and board aligned expectations.
- Implement effective internal and external assessment systems and the use data to inform decision making.
- Lead a multi-tiered system of support for student learning that includes the implementation of a strong Tier 1, Tier 2 and Tier 3 model.
- Ensure strong consistency within the school program and curricular alignment with state and other rigorous standards
- Coach and mentor staff to ensure effective curricular and instructional practices are utilized.
- Serve as point person for all students and families
- Work with the instructional leadership team (ILT) and other committees/groups to plan and implement strategic work aligned to the School and District improvement/work plans.
FACULTY AND STAFF SUPPORT/ADULT CULTURE
- Oversee faculty and staff of the school, including recruitment, selection, evaluation, supervision, retention, correction and dismissal
- Manage teaching staff, including professional development, staff observations, curriculum development, staff communication, and scheduling and program decisions
- Lead faculty to ensure that all staff are providing well-managed, rigorous, engaging and aligned daily instructional experiences.
- Foster commitment among faculty and staff to the development and fulfillment of the district’s strategic plan and school’s improvement plan.
- Model and expect a growth mindset
- Lead data processes including data meetings and data-driven instruction practices
- Hold teachers accountable for meeting high standards for student academic and behavioral performance
- Work with staff on all curricular, instructional, assessment, and professional development issues and activities to ensure data drives classroom instruction
- Work with staff to foster consistency among staff in upholding school-wide discipline policies
- Facilitate positive faculty dynamics
- Uphold high expectations for employee professionalism and drive staff responsibility of professional and ethical conduct
- Work with Special Education Coordinator to ensure 504 accommodations, IEP modifications, and counseling needs are met
- Engage families in activities to foster connection between home and school experiences.
- Maintain communication and relations with the families of the school, ensuring they are kept involved with and held accountable for their children’s academic and behavioral performance
- Communicate regularly with families regarding student performance and academic achievement
- Work with staff to correspond regularly with families regarding school policies, trips, events, and milestones
- Work with staff to plan, coordinate, and support family meetings and special events
- Respond to family concerns promptly and effectively
STUDENT SUPPORT/SCHOOL CULTURE
- Collaborate with school staff to maximize the ability of the school to support students’ academic and socio-emotional development
- Provide leadership to all staff and students in establishing a positive, structured, rigorous, achievement-oriented, and fun school culture
- Oversee students’ academic and behavioral program, including disciplinary decisions, scheduling and class decisions, educational program, and assessment and accountability
- Foster consistency in academic and behavioral expectations in and out of class
- Work with the leadership team(s) to fulfill the district and school strategic plans through planning around implementation strategies, operations, and culture.
- Collaborate with outside organizations to maximize the ability of the school to support students’ academic and socio-emotional development
1. Required knowledge, skills & abilities:
- Demonstrated leadership ability
- Strong organizational skills; extremely careful attention to detail and follow-through
- Strong analytical and problem-solving skills
- Strong communication skills
- Ability to work well in a team
- Exceptional ability to bridge and enhance cooperative working relationships
- Ability to create, monitor, and maintain systems that enhance organizational efficiency
- Committed to equity and access for all students
- Bilingual skills in Spanish preferred
2. Minimum educational level:
- Bachelor’s Degree
- Principal license or held qualifications for alternative licensure pathway
3. Experience required:
- 5 years teaching and working in classrooms, preferably in diverse schools and/or communities
- Experience as a principal, dean or instructional leadership role highly preferred
- Experience serving at-risk students and/or majority Hispanic/Latino population preferred.
- We offer a competitive compensation package and comprehensive health benefits.
Please complete an application. Please submit a letter of interest, application, resume and three references to the Human Resource Department, Kathleen Fitzsimmons, email@example.com.