News from LCHS
Reminders: MS Music Concert tonight, 7:15 pm, LCHS auditorium, 7th and 8th grade choirs and honors band
No school for students on Friday, December 8th, teacher PD/work day
Winter Break begins on Friday, December 22nd and school resumes for students on Tuesday, January 9, 2018
(Schools closed 12/22/17 – 1/7/17, teacher work day 1/8/18)
Semester Exams: On Wednesday, December 20th and Thursday, December 21st LCHS grades 7-12 will be taking semester final exams. These days will be half days (morning) of school. Buses will depart at 12:45pm. These exams count as 15% of the semester grade, and all students are expected to be in school for the exams. Please read the attached 1st Semester Exam Week Schedule for all of the details.
Please read the following information from the Student Handbook about student absences that extend holiday breaks.
e. No excused absences which extend holiday breaks.
Colorado state statute requires that excused absences are mutually agreed upon by the school and the family.
Families should plan their travels within holiday breaks. It creates a burden on teachers and the school when families extend breaks. Families may do so, but need to understand that these absences are not excused.
LCHS will not excuse absences for students with multiple F’s. Students with F’s may of course miss school with their family but must understand that these absences will not be excused. Unexcused absences have potential legal ramifications and teachers do not have to offer make up work for unexcused absences. Extenuating circumstances will be considered on a case by case basis.
News from the Counseling Office:
- Friday, December 8th the counseling department will be taking high school students to a college visit in Denver. They will visit Regis University and Metro State University. First 40 students to sign up may attend.
This year LCSD is partnering with Panorama Education to offer a parent survey for parents of children in grades K-12. You will receive one survey per school in which you have a child enrolled. We very much value your input on what’s working and how we can make our schools better. We hope you will take the time to share your thoughts with us! You should have received this survey by email. The sender is Panorama Education and the subject is “Request for Feedback – Family Survey.” Every parent who completes the survey will be entered in a drawing to win a $100 gift card to Safeway!
Our new Family Engagement Specialist, Brenda Caraveo, is providing support for families in completing the survey. You can email Brenda at firstname.lastname@example.org or call her directly at 719-427-7003 if you need assistance. We look forward to hearing from you!
Notes from the School Board:
Notes from November 14, 2017:
- We welcomed our new board member, Jeff Fielder, and said goodbye and thank you to Harmony Jump and Katie Baldassar for their transformative service.
- We welcomed parents and community members to talk about early childhood education, and we heard from members of the Bright Start board about the challenges of child care for children 0-3. We agreed to continue a conversation about solutions.
- We also heard from the Center’s director Tanya Lenhard, teachers Jackie Lujan and Darcy Byers and special education coordinator, Lauren Bissonnette, and puppet Wally about the Center’s growth in social/emotional and academic learning.
- We welcomed Mayor Greg Labbe, City Services Administrator Sarah Dallas, and LCSD Chief Financial Officer Kate Bartlett to talk about the impact of the Urban Renewal Authority on the school district.
Coming up on December 12 at the District Office (107 Spruce St) at 7 PM:
- We will interview candidates for the open position on the school board.
- We will focus on the culture and climate in our schools. How are we doing on our goal of a diverse and welcoming environment for all students?
Your school board: Amy Frykholm 970-333-1342; Stephanie McBride 719-293-0155; Ellie Solomon 303-562-5503; Jeff Fiedler 720-209-8852.
December 7 MS music concert 7:15 LCHS auditorium
December 8 No School ~ PD Day
December 8 HS Boys Basketball (JV/V) @ Jefferson 4:00/5:30
December 8 HS Girls Basketball (JV/V) @ Jefferson 4:00/5:30
December 9 HS Girls Basketball (C, JV) VAA Tournament Away 9:45
December 12 HS Girls/Boys Basketball vs. Dolores Huerta @ LCIS GV5:30/BV7:00
December 12 HS Girls/Boys Basketball vs. Dolores Huerta @ LCIS BJV5:30/GJV7:00
December 13 MS Girls Basketball @ Summit 4:00
December 15 2nd Winter Sports Picture Date teams and times TBD
December 16 HS Boys Basketball (JV/V) @ Gilpin County 1:00/4:00
December 16 HS Girls Basketball (JV/V) @ Gilpin County 1:00/2:30
December 19 HS Girls Basketball (JV/V) vs. Summit @ LCHS 5:30/7:00
December 19 MS Girls Basketball vs. Salida @ LCIS 4:00
December 22-January 5 No School ~ Winter Break