West Park Parent Weekly Update 8/30/2020
Hello WPE families!
We are so excited to see you this week at school! We are so glad that you made the time to visit us during family orientation conferences. I cannot emphasize how important your children are to us – and that your children are in good hands while at West Park Elementary School. This year our partnership in your child’s education will be critical. Thank you for your understanding and collaboration.
Please take a few minutes to watch my back to school welcome video. It is in English and Spanish and will take about 4 minutes.
LCSD is starting school in the Hybrid/Yellow phase through the month of September. This means students will attend school in-person every other day with a small “cohort” of students, and complete at-home learning activities on the other days. We have carefully divided students into A and B cohorts to keep class sizes balanced and small. We aim to keep siblings together on the same cohort day for the ease of families. This is one layer of many for protection and safety during the COVID-19 pandemic.
Please practice with your child our expectations for being safe at school:
- Safely wearing a face covering. Nose and mouth must be covered with at least two layers of tightly woven materials. Please see the attached flyers (in English and Spanish) for family tips. We are expecting all students wear a face covering at school, and we are also planning time outside for mask breaks and outdoor instruction when possible! We will provide a Panther neck gaiter, which needs to be worn double or triple thick, in order to be effective.
- Frequent hand washing. After touching any shared object (door handles, banister, pen, etc.) we should wash our hands with warm, soapy water. Rubbing vigorously for at least 20 seconds, rinsing off the soap well and drying thoroughly are important steps. We are adapting our schedules to include hand-washing at critical times of the day, and we appreciate your help in practicing these with our students.
- Giving social distance between people. We will aim for at least 6 feet of separation during inside times, with times such as recess or PE having looser restrictions.
- Limiting the people in the building to staff and students. This means when you drop off and greet your student, that will occur at your car or bus stop, instead of inside the building. Please plan with your child about fun things to do on the first drop offs of school (like take a picture at the front door of your house!).
- Complete a child health-screener before school each day. We’ll have these screener forms for each child and this will be their “ticket” into school each morning. This screener is attached – I recommend you talk with your child about these symptoms. Copies of these screeners were given to you at family orientation conferences.
- Please be safe when dropping off and picking up your child – remain in your vehicle and stay in the single-file car line. Extra patience is appreciated during these first weeks of school! The drop off map is attached.
Please read this important update about meal distribution during the yellow phase. This includes meal information for Virtual Students, too!
Want to read a story with me? Please go to our WPE Bedtime Stories Facebook page! You may recognize some of your favorite Lake County people reading their favorite children’s book!
August 31, 2020 First Day of School / 2nd day programming begins
September 28, 2020 Project Dream Afterschool and Friday programs will begin
With warm wishes and excitement at seeing you again,
Kathleen Fitzsimmons, Principal
West Park Elementary
130 West 12th Street
Leadville, CO 80461
719-486-6890 (school phone)https://www.lakecountyschools.net/westpark/