West Park Parent Weekly Update
Hello WPE families! I hope you have had a great weekend, and got to enjoy the beautiful autumn days!
* While the start of school has been very different and anything but monotonous, you are all continuing to march along beside us. Thank you. We wanted to make sure you have the chance to catch some of the joys happening in the schools. From giggles to high fives, it’s been great to see our kids back in the building. As access to the building is limited to mitigate unintended exposure to COVID, we wanted to find a way to allow families a peek into our schools. You will find a video here that has been created to capture some of the back to school moments that have happened.
* Lake County School District’s 2nd Day Supports Program with 100 Elk Outdoor Center: There’s just 1 week left of this fun and enriching 2nd-day programming. As always, please pay close attention to the weather forecast and make sure your student(s) come prepared. Programming is outdoors as much as possible. Additionally: please make sure your student(s) bring their ‘at-home’ academic work, as they have time to work on it at 100 Elk.
*Thank you for your patience as we have had a classroom cohort, ad several related teachers, quarantined for safety due to a probable exposure to a COVID-19 case. We are happy there are no secondary cases that have resulted on this, and all students and staff will be back by Wednesday for school or 2nd day programming! I want to give a huge shout out to the staff and families who have been quarantined during this time for your flexibility. I am proud that learning continued for our students.
*UPDATE: Meals during Yellow Phase Reopening: All meals are now free for all students regardless of free/reduced lunch status. Please be sure to take advantage of the meals LCSD is able to provide!
Please follow this link for details on distribution depending on your student’s learning choice. If you need any accommodations please do not hesitate to reach out to Julie Mehle email@example.com 719-293-1040 (cell) 719-486-6960 (work).
*Due to safety restrictions, we ask that only staff and students come inside the building. If you need to pick up your child early, please call the school office ahead of time so we can have the student ready to send out to you! 719 486 6890.
*Please practice with your child our expectations for being safe at school:
- Safely wearing a face covering. Nose and mouth must be covered with at least two layers of tightly woven materials. We are expecting all students wear a face covering at school, and we are also planning time outside for mask breaks and outdoor instruction when possible!
- Frequent hand washing. After touching any shared object (door handles, banister, pen, etc.) we should wash our hands with warm, soapy water. Rubbing vigorously for at least 20 seconds, rinsing off the soap well and drying thoroughly are important steps.
- Giving social distance between people. We will aim for at least 6 feet of separation during inside times, with times such as recess or PE having looser restrictions.
- Limiting the people in the building to staff and students. This means when you drop off and greet your student, that will occur at your car or bus stop, instead of inside the building.
- Complete a child health-screener before school each day. We’ll have these screener forms for each child and this will be their “ticket” into school each morning. This screener is attached – I recommend you talk with your child about these symptoms. Copies of these screeners were given to you at family orientation conferences. Please let your child’s teacher know if you are running low and we can send home more copies!
- Please be safe when dropping off and picking up your child – remain in your vehicle and stay in the single-file car line. Extra patience is appreciated during these first weeks of school!
Want to read a story with me? Please go to our WPE Bedtime Stories Facebook page! You may recognize some of your favorite Lake County people reading their favorite children’s book!
Are you interested in educational practice or games at home? Please use these links for home support for all students (students know how to log on J):
Lexia Core5 Reading – supplemental reading skill practice that Kinder, 1st and 2nd grade students can use at home (parent/sibling help is only needed if the apple in the corner is red!)
RAZ Kids A-Z – fun reading games which students enjoy! Books are in English and Spanish!
Starfall – free website of different educational games, and you can pay more for full access to all games.
September 23 and September 24 – Virtual/Pre-Recorded First Community Meeting during CREW for A and B Cohorts. *Recording will be shared in next week’s update!
September 28 – Project Dream Afterschool and Friday programs will begin
October 12-13 – Picture Retakes
With gratitude for the trust you place in us to educate your children,
Kathleen Fitzsimmons, Principal
West Park Elementary
130 West 12th Street
Leadville, CO 80461
719-486-6890 (school phone)