West Park Parent Weekly Update
Hello WPE families! I hope you have had a great weekend, and got to enjoy time with friends, family and fall colors!
We are ever so grateful for your partnership in the education of your child. Now, more than ever, we rely on your teamwork to ensure that our 2nd day learning activities are meaningful for your child. Whether your child attends 100 Elk or if they work at home, please set aside 5-10 minutes each day talk about your child’s packet.
Ask questions such as:
- What did you find easy to complete?
- What are you most proud of?
- What did you find challenging?
- What did you do to persevere?
Please check that your child has attempted the work in the packet. Teachers discuss the packet work with the students and it is an important piece of our instruction to keep moving forward in service of our learners! Please check weekly folders for a letter from me about specific ways in which our partnership will grow during the rest of the semester.
LCSD’s 2nd Day Supports Program with 100 Elk:
Just one more week left of this program! October 8th is the final day.
- B cohort students will attend on Monday, October 5th and Wednesday, October 7th
- A cohort students will attend 100 Elk on Tuesday, October 6th and Thursday, October 8th
Starting the following week, October 12th, Project Dream will be continuing the 2nd day supports. Please pay close attention for information about Project Dream 2nd Day Supports coming out this upcoming week!
*The Board of Education made the decision to remain in the Yellow Phase the entire fall semester. Project Dream will be shifting efforts to provide in-person support and enrichment for K-6 students during the school day (Monday-Thursday) instead of our original plan to provide in-person programming 4-6pm after school and full days on Fridays. During the fall semester we will not have in-person, after school programming at any level. Additionally, we will not be providing Friday programs for West Park students.
*West Park Elementary School will continue with the current model of alternating A and B cohorts between in-person instruction at WPE and offering optional, every-other-day support. This programming will last for the rest of first semester, through December 17, 2020. More information will go out to those families who have been in the 100 Elk program with details about the next steps. With questions, please feel free to call Taylor Trelka, at 719-427-9404 or email at firstname.lastname@example.org. Taylor speaks Spanish!
*We have purchased thermometers for families who do not have one at home. In order to fulfil the grant requirements, families will be asked to fill out this brief questionnaire to determine need and eligibility. Here is a link to the Spanish version of the google form. Thermometers will be available starting September 24 and do not need to be returned – they are yours to keep forever!
*UPDATE: Meals during Yellow Phase: All meals are now free for all students regardless of free/reduced lunch status. Please be sure to take advantage of the meals LCSD is able to provide! Please follow this link for details on distribution depending on your student’s learning choice. If you need any accommodations please do not hesitate to reach out to Julie Mehle email@example.com 719-293-1040 (cell) 719-486-6960 (work).
*Due to safety restrictions, we ask that only staff and students come inside the building. If you need to pick up your child early, please call the school office ahead of time so we can have the student ready to send out to you! 719 486 6890.
*Please practice with your child our expectations for being safe at school:
- Safely wearing a face covering. Nose and mouth must be covered with at least two layers of tightly woven materials. We are expecting all students wear a face covering at school, and we are also planning time outside for mask breaks and outdoor instruction when possible!
- Frequent hand washing. After touching any shared object (door handles, banister, pen, etc.) we should wash our hands with warm, soapy water. Rubbing vigorously for at least 20 seconds, rinsing off the soap well and drying thoroughly are important steps.
- Giving social distance between people. We will aim for at least 6 feet of separation during inside times, with times such as recess or PE having looser restrictions.
- Limiting the people in the building to staff and students. This means when you drop off and greet your student, that will occur at your car or bus stop, instead of inside the building.
- Complete a child health-screener before school each day. We’ll have these screener forms for each child and this will be their “ticket” into school each morning. This screener is attached – I recommend you talk with your child about these symptoms. Copies of these screeners were given to you at family orientation conferences. Please let your child’s teacher know if you are running low and we can send home more copies!
- Please be safe when dropping off and picking up your child – remain in your vehicle and stay in the single-file car line. Extra patience is appreciated during these first weeks of school!
Want to read a story with me? Please go to our WPE Bedtime Stories Facebook page! You may recognize some of your favorite Lake County people reading their favorite children’s book!
Are you interested in educational practice or games at home? Please use these links for home support for all students (students know how to log on J):
Lexia Core5 Reading – supplemental reading skill practice that Kinder, 1st and 2nd grade students can use at home (parent/sibling help is only needed if the apple in the corner is red!)
RAZ Kids A-Z – fun reading games which students enjoy! Books are in English and Spanish!
Starfall – free website of different educational games, and you can pay more for full access to all games.
DreamBox –DreamBox is a K-8 digital math program which we use for extra practice in mathematics.
October 12: Picture Retakes for A Day (if you missed in August or need re-takes)
October 13: Picture Retakes for B Day (if you missed in August or need re-takes)
October 28: Parent /Student/Teacher Conferences for A Day – 12-8pm School dismisses at 11:00am on these days.
October 29: Parent /Student/Teacher Conferences for B Day – 12-8pm School dismisses at 11:00am on these days.
With gratitude for the trust you place in us to educate your children,
Kathleen Fitzsimmons, Principal
West Park Elementary
130 West 12th Street
Leadville, CO 80461
719-486-6890 (school phone)