West Park Parent Weekly Update 10/18/2020
Hello WPE families! I hope you have had a great weekend, and got to enjoy time with friends, family and fall colors.
*Semester 1 Hybrid: The 2nd day program has shifted to be staffed by Project Dream and based at Pitts Elementary. Thank you in advance for your patience and understanding as students may not have gotten through as much of the academic work as we had hoped; it is understandable as the crews were learning a new schedule, new systems, and new routines in a new space! We are so excited about the stability this program at Pitts will offer for the rest of the semester. Our systems will continue to be streamlined as we learn the new routines. WPE teachers are providing instructional materials and guidance to support the Crew leaders. This is a complex system and we are excited that the pieces are falling into place well. In general, teachers send home 60-90minutes of literacy work each day, 60 minutes of math work each day and then additional time spent on electives and physical activities. Some of the work time is planned to be on Dreambox (math), Lexia (literacy), or RAZ kids (reading). Please through this letter for more details about the goals and details for the 2nd day work for students.
- If you have any questions about the Project Dream program, please call Taylor Trelka at 719-427-7003. She speaks Spanish.
- To excuse a student absence, you can continue to call the WPE office at 719-486-6890.
- For all transportation changes, please call the WPE office before 2:30 at 719-486-6890.
*We are ever so grateful for your partnership in the education of your child. Now, more than ever, we rely on your teamwork to ensure that our 2nd day learning activities are meaningful for your child. Set aside to talk with them about their work. Ask questions such as:
- What did you find easy to complete?
- What are you most proud of?
- What did you find challenging?
Please check that your child has attempted the work in the packet.
*New PK-2 Building Naming Process Begins ~ Your Input Needed!
* Fall conferences will take place this year on Wednesday, October 28th and Thursday, October 29th from 12:00-8:00pm both days. Please use this link to sign up! Please note that the first question will ask if you would like to attend your child’s conference in person or virtually, through Google Meets. If you are in Ms. Seifert’s or Ms. Perez’ class, your conferences will be held virtually, like your program. Please follow the link below and pick the best date and time for you to meet with your child’s teacher. You will receive a confirmation email – if you do not receive the confirmation email, please check that you have completed all of the steps in setting up your appointment. We ask that everyone over the age of 5 completes a health screener prior to entering the building, and please limit the size of your group to the student and parents, when at all possible.
*We want to welcome Ms. McKenzie Stock as our new art teacher for WPE! Many of you know her from Rockies Rock and her art, which is featured at Harper Rose. As a certified teacher, she enjoys Leadville greatly and is super excited to be joining her “dream job!” we are so grateful to have her join us on this important team for our approach developing the whole child!
*We have purchased thermometers for families who do not have one at home. In order to fulfill the grant requirements, families will be asked to fill out this brief questionnaire to determine need and eligibility. Here is a link to the Spanish version of the google form. Thermometers will be available starting September 24 and do not need to be returned – they are yours to keep forever!
*UPDATE: Meals during Yellow Phase: All meals are now free for all students regardless of free/reduced lunch status. Please be sure to take advantage of the meals LCSD is able to provide! Please follow this link for details on distribution depending on your student’s learning choice. If you need any accommodations please do not hesitate to reach out to Julie Mehle firstname.lastname@example.org 719-293-1040 (cell) 719-486-6960 (work).
*Due to safety precautions, and the priority on instructional time in our building, we will not be having a Halloween costume parade or classroom parties this year at WPE. We are sad to not have this special event, and appreciate your understanding. Please save the dressing up for October 31st and we hope you can attend the community Trunk or Treat Street at the Community Field from 1-5pm.
*Due to safety precautions, we ask that only staff and students come inside the building. If you need to pick up your child early, please call the school office ahead of time so we can have your child ready to send out to you! 719 486 6890.
* If you have any questions about transportation (after 4:00pm) , please call Joyce LaCome at 719-221-1017. She is the expert on bus routes and the manager of the bus drivers.
*Please practice with your child our expectations for being safe at school:
- Safely wearing a face covering. Nose and mouth must be covered with at least two layers of tightly woven materials. We are expecting all students wear a face covering at school, and we are also planning time outside for mask breaks and outdoor instruction when possible!
- Frequent hand washing. After touching any shared object (door handles, banister, pen, etc.) we should wash our hands with warm, soapy water. Rubbing vigorously for at least 20 seconds, rinsing off the soap well and drying thoroughly are important steps.
- Giving social distance between people. We will aim for at least 6 feet of separation during inside times, with times such as recess or PE having looser restrictions.
- Limiting the people in the building to staff and students. This means when you drop off and greet your student, that will occur at your car or bus stop, instead of inside the building.
- Complete a child health-screener before school each day. We’ll have these screener forms for each child and this will be their “ticket” into school each morning. This screener is attached – I recommend you talk with your child about these symptoms. Copies of these screeners were given to you at family orientation conferences. Please let your child’s teacher know if you are running low and we can send home more copies!
- Please be safe when dropping off and picking up your child – remain in your vehicle and stay in the single-file car line.
Want to read a story with me? Please go to our WPE Bedtime Stories Facebook page! You may recognize some of your favorite Lake County people reading their favorite children’s book!
Are you interested in educational practice or games at home? Please use these links for home support for all students (students know how to log on J):
Lexia Core5 Reading – supplemental reading skill practice that Kinder, 1st and 2nd grade students can use at home (parent/sibling help is only needed if the apple in the corner is red!)
RAZ Kids A-Z – fun reading games which students enjoy! Books are in English and Spanish!
Starfall – free website of different educational games, and you can pay more for full access to all games.
DreamBox –DreamBox is a K-8 digital math program which we use for extra practice in mathematics.
October 28: Parent /Student/Teacher Conferences for A Day – 12-8pm School dismisses at 11:00am on these days.
October 29: Parent /Student/Teacher Conferences for B Day – 12-8pm School dismisses at 11:00am on these days.
Please reach out if ever you have concerns or celebrations you hope to share with me!
With gratitude for the trust you place in us to educate your children,
Kathleen Fitzsimmons, Principal
West Park Elementary
130 West 12th Street
Leadville, CO 80461
719-486-6890 (school phone)