News From LCHS 11/11/22
College and Career Preparation Night!
9th and 10th grade students and families are invited to come and learn about what you can do now to prepare for college admissions and scholarship applications. Wednesday, Nov. 16th at 6:30 pm in the high school auditorium, hosted by Mark Paricio.
Mark Paricio is an Alumni Ambassador and on the Alumni Board for the Boettcher Foundation, one of Colorado’s oldest educational philanthropic organizations. Mark’s passion is to help prepare Colorado students to be successful in pursuing post-secondary plans after high school.
A lifelong Coloradan, Mark is a 1980 Boettcher Scholar from Golden HS. He holds degrees from Colorado State University, Colorado School of Mines, and the University of Colorado. As a Colorado Master Teacher and National Board-Certified Teacher, Mark has helped thousands of students with college and scholarship applications and is the proud parent of two Boettcher Scholars.
For more information please contact Kelly Hofer at firstname.lastname@example.org
If your student (6th-8th grade) wants to attend a basketball event, you must either attend the event with them, or you must call Alison Sprague at 719-486-6954 to get them on the Event Attendee List. Students whose names are not on the Event Attendee List will be turned away at the door and will need to find a way home. RSVP’s must be called in to Alison before 2:30 pm the day of the event, or by 2:30 pm on Thursday if the event is on Friday or Saturday. We do ask that you call to add your student EACH TIME you want them to attend a sporting event at LCIS. Parents, thank you for your help on this. We are trying to encourage students to be positively engaged at these events, and we appreciate your partnership in that effort.
It’s time for winter sports! HS nordic has already started practicing, and alpine is starting on Dutch Henry this weekend!
HS boys’/girls’ basketball practice starts NEXT MONDAY! Girls will practice from 4-6 pm and boys from 6-8 pm at the LCHS gym.
MS girls’ basketball is running open gyms on Tuesdays and Thursdays from 6-8 pm at the LCIS gym. All 6th-8th grade girls are invited to join them! The first official practice for that team will be December 5, when practice time will shift to 4-5:30 pm.
If you need help getting in touch with a coach, please reach out. I’m happy to help!
Top 10 reasons to encourage your student to join a winter sport:
- It is good for their physical health.
- It can improve their mental health.
- It makes school more FUN!
- Involved students do better in their classes.
- It gives them something positive to do during the long, dark winter.
- It gives them the opportunity to get out of Leadville and visit some other places.
- They can make new friends.
- They will have new adults in their life who really care about them.
- They can discover skills that they never knew they had.
- It helps them become a better person by teaching commitment, teamwork, etc.
If you need a little more encouragement, check out this hype video for girls’ basketball. A famous athlete once said, “You miss 100% of the shots you don’t take.” Don’t let your student miss their shot at being part of something special! Join the girls’ basketball team next Monday!
Eligibility was run on Thursday, November 3. This round of eligibility is effective from Monday, November 7 through Saturday, November 19. The next eligibility check will be on Thursday, November 17. In the meantime, middle school appeals should be addressed to Alison Sprague (email@example.com). High school appeals must be made to Amy Peters (firstname.lastname@example.org).
LET’S GO PANTHERS!!
CHSSA Regain Date:
Saturday November 12
- 6th Grade Boys Basketball Tournament @ Summit 8:00-12:00 pm
Monday November 14
- First Official Day of Practice HS Winter Sports
- Board of Education Regular Meeting @ District office 6:30-9:30pm
Wednesday November 16
- MS Boys Basketball @ Vail Mountain School 4:00-7:00 pm
- College and Career Preparation 9th & 10th Grade @ LCHS 6:30-7:30pm
Thursday November 17
- MS/HS Eligibility 3:00 pm