News From LCHS 9/16/22
Hello LCHS Family,
Unfortunately, COVID 19 has sidelined me this week. I will be fine, however it reminds us all that this virus is still in our community, and should be taken seriously. If you or your student are feeling poorly, they should not come to school, and they should be tested right away. We have free test kits available at all LCSD campuses. Washing our hands and keeping a healthy distance from people is just good advice no matter what. The rest of the admin team and I worked hard this summer developing new procedures and policies aimed at making LCHS a safer, and happier place. In this work we developed our campus accountability matrix. This matrix was designed to keep us in check and make sure we are making fair, equitable decisions regarding student accountability. Please feel free to review our accountability matrix below, and please send any questions or comments to me @ email@example.com
We will also soon be revising and publishing our new Student Handbook for the 2022/23 school year, as well as making that document available for public comment as well.
Next week is Homecoming Week! Our school community has a host of activities and sporting events slated for the upcoming week. Homecoming week will culminate in a dance for our HS students, a parade for the whole community, and other traditional activities. Volunteers and sponsors for float building and the dance are welcomed and appreciated. Please reach out to Student Senate or Luke Finken for more information. firstname.lastname@example.org Please join us in supporting our school and local athletic squads, and celebrating everything that is Lake County High School!
2022-2023 School Meals and Free and Reduced School Meal Applications
This school year students will be charged for their school meals based on their eligibility status for free and reduced school meals. All students will receive breakfast for free and students who are eligible for free meals or reduced-priced meals will also receive lunch for free. If your student was eligible for free or reduced meals during the 2021-2022 school year, that eligibility only carries through the first 30 days of school. Each year families must complete a new Free and Reduced School Meals application. Free and reduced school meal applications are available at your student’s school office and the LCSD District Office at 328 W. 5th, St., Leadville, CO 80461, or at www.lakecountyschools.net, under the Nutrition tab. If you have any questions please reach out to Leslee Torsell, Cloud City High School, 315 W. 6th St., Leadville, CO 80461, email@example.com, 719-486-6980.
This year meals cost:
|Lake County Elementary School||No Charge||$3.00|
|Lake County Intermediate School||No Charge||$3.00|
|Lake County High School||No Charge||$3.10|
|Cloud City High School||No Charge||$3.10|
I want to highlight a couple of policies from our athletic handbook. All athletes and parents signed off on these policies when you registered for sports, but just in case you didn’t read them closely…
· Students on school-sponsored trips must GO AND RETURN in the transportation designated by the school. Parents/Guardians must request permission from the Principal or Athletics/Activities Director if they wish that someone other than themselves pick their child up from a school sponsored trip and must submit a transportation release form if traveling separately or sign the student out if being picked up by a parent/guardian and not returning with the team.
· Students must be in attendance a full day to participate in any activity scheduled for that day. Exceptions are granted with administrative approval only. A student who is absent from any class without obtaining prior approval may not participate in practice or contests on the day he/she is absent. Students who do not obtain prior approval and do participate in practice or contests will result in the loss of playing time in the next contest after the violation is verified. Thursday will count towards any competition or event held on a Friday or Saturday.
Our HS sports teams are looking very strong! Boys’ soccer beat Salida 8-2 on Tuesday! Girls’ volleyball is 7-2, with a big matchup next Wednesday against West Grand. The cross country girls’ team won their home meet on September 3 and won the Harrison Panther Invitational in Colorado Springs last Friday.
Next week is Homecoming!! Each school day will have a dress up theme:
Monday: Beach Day
Tuesday: Adam Sandler or Movie Character Day
Wednesday: Anything but a Backpack Day (students should carry their belongings in something other than a backpack, without using animals or smaller children)
Thursday: Purple and Gold Day
The Homecoming parade will be on Thursday at 4 pm down Harrison Avenue. The theme will be The Marvel Universe. All 4 high school grades will be building floats next week in preparation for the parade. Float building will be at the bus barn from 5-8 pm on Sunday-Wednesday and supervised by LCHS staff.
On Friday, following the conclusion of the HS volleyball games, the homecoming King and Queen will be crowned in the LCHS gym. Afterward, there will be Peachfuzz Games in the gym. (The peachfuzz teams will be made up of representatives from each class, usually boys, who will face off in a fun volleyball tournament.)
The Homecoming Dance will be held on Saturday, from 7-10 pm at LCHS. The theme will be “Masquerade.” During the dance, there will also be a Mario Kart Tournament in the Auditorium. Entrance to the dance is $5 for a single and $8 for a couple. It will cost $1 to play 1 Mario Kart game. $5 gets a student unlimited games. Students can also pay $1 per raffle ticket to enter a drawing to be in the tournament.
Home athletic events for next week:
MS volleyball- Tuesday, September 20, LCIS at 4:15 pm* (If your student wants to attend this game, you must attend with them or call to put them on the Event Attendee List- see details below)
HS volleyball- Tuesday, September 20, LCHS at 4:00 pm
HS volleyball- Wednesday, September 21, LCHS at 5:00 pm
HS volleyball- Friday, September 23, LCHS at 4:00 pm
MS football- Friday, September 23, Community Field at 5:00 pm
Please come out and support your teams!
If your student (6th-12th grade) wants to attend a sporting event at LCIS, you must either attend the event with them, or you must call Alison Sprague at 719-486-6954 to get them on the Event Attendee List. Students whose names are not on the Event Attendee List will be turned away at the door and will need to find a way home. RSVP’s must be called in to Alison before 2:30 pm the day of the event, or by 2:30 pm on Thursday if the event is on Friday or Saturday. We do ask that you call to add your student EACH TIME you want them to attend a sporting event at LCIS. Parents, thank you for your help on this. We are trying to encourage students to be positively engaged at these events, and we appreciate your partnership in that effort.
Eligibility was run on September 8. This round of eligibility is effective from Monday, September 12 through Saturday, September 24. The next eligibility check will be on Thursday, September 22. Middle school appeals should be addressed to Alison Sprague (firstname.lastname@example.org). High school appeals must be made to Amy Peters (email@example.com).
LET’S GO PANTHERS!!
CHSSA Regain Date:
Cross Country: September 5th
Soccer, Volleyball, Cheerleading: September 12th
Saturday September 17
- MS Volleyball VS Berry Creek @ LCIS Time TBD (Rescheduled from 9/7/22)
- MS Volleyball 6th grade Tournament @ Homestake Peak 8:00am
- MS/ HS Cross Country Gunnison Invite @ Gunnison 9:00am-1:15pm
- HS Boys Soccer @ St. Mary’s (Varsity Only) 2:00pm-4:00pm
Monday September 19
- Homecoming Spirit week: Beach Day
Tuesday September 20
- Homecoming Spirit Week: Adam Sandler/ Favorite Character day
- HS Volleyball VS Middle Park (C/JV/V) @ LCHS 4:00-7:30pm
- MS Volleyball VS Vail Mountain School @ LCIS 4:15-7:15pm
- MS Football VS Berry Creek @ Homestake Peak 5:00-8:00pm
Wednesday September 21
- Homecoming Spirit Week: Anything But A Backpack (no animals or small humans)
- HS Boys Soccer @ Jefferson High School 4:00-5:30pm
- MS Volleyball @ ECCA 4:15-7:15pm
- HS Volleyball VS West Grand @ Lake County High School 5:00-7:30pm
Thursday September 22
- Homecoming Spirit Week: Purple and Gold Day
- Eligibility for HS and MS @ 3:00pm
- Homecoming Parade @ Harrison Ave. 4:00pm
Friday September 23
- HS Volleyball VS Pinnacle (C/JV/V) @ LCHS 4:00-7:30pm (Homecoming King & Queen Coronation Theme: Marvel Universe
- MS Football VS Homestake Peak @ Lake County Community Field 5:00-8:00pm
Saturday September 24
- MS Volleyball ⅞ Tournament @ Eagle Valley MS 8:00am-12:00pm
- Homecoming Dance: Masquerade @ LCHS 7:00-10:00pm