News from LCHS
It was great to see so many families and students last week during parent conferences! Hopefully you found that connecting with teachers and learning more about your students’ academic progress, talking over concerns and enjoying celebrations was meaningful.
Our attendance goal for the year is 95% attendance. Right now, our HS attendance rate is 93.25% and our 7/8 attendance rate is 95%. This is a huge improvement from our historic rates. We will engage in various attendance competitions between now and Winter break to celebrate our hard working students who are here every day. Additionally, like last year we will not be doing any excused absences to extend a break. All absences connected to Thanksgiving and Winter break will need to be unexcused absences. Finals for all students will occur the last two days of the semester and students must attend to take their finals. Families should set up a meeting with Mr. Cairns with specific questions.
News from the Counseling Office:
- SAT retake is full for the November 4th If you are planning to retake the SAT you need to get registered now for December 2nd in Salida or wait until next year in March. If you need help registering please come see Mrs. Kerrigan. The counseling department can transport the first 7 who sign-up for that day.
- November 6th the counseling department will be taking sophomores only to Western State College in Gunnison. We will depart the high school at 8:15 am and arrive back by 5:30pm
- Friday, December 8th the counseling department will be taking high school students to a college visit in Denver. They will visit Regis University and Metro State University. First 40 students to sign up may attend.
Becca Katz is recruiting a team of enthusiastic parent volunteers to support 7th and 8th grade fieldwork (outdoor, hands-on learning) opportunities on various dates throughout the school year. Please reach out to Becca Katz by November 3rd – email@example.com / 719-293-5169 – if you want to learn more about how you can support 7th and 8th grade fieldwork (outdoor, hands-on learning) at LCHS!
Michele DeWine invites parents to volunteer for Jr. High Science Fieldwork on November 7th and 8th, day trips, from 8 am to 4pm.
Standards based Fieldwork includes:
- Fire ecology
- Building a fire
- Cooking on a fire
- Flame tests in the fire (periodic table)
- Fire ecology
- Prescribed burn
- Human impact
Major State Standards covered:
- Physical and Chemical change
- Physical and Chemical properties
- The Law of Conservation of Mass, Energy..
We will need parent supervision assistance, with lunch, and walking around from site to site. Please contact Michele DeWine if you are able to volunteer, firstname.lastname@example.org, 719-293-0130.
Be sure to read the attached high school November breakfast and lunch menus!
October 28 HS Football @ St. Mary’s, Colorado Springs, 1:00
October 28 HS Cross Country State, Norris Penrose Event Center, 1045 Lower Gold Camp Rd # 3, Colorado Springs, CO
October 28 MS Boys Basketball (7/8) @ Salida 10:00
October 30 MS Boys Basketball (6/7/8) @ ECCA 3:30
November 2 MS Boys Basketball (7/8) vs. Berry Creek @ LCIS 4:00
November 4 MS Boys Basketball (7/8) vs. Buena Vista @ LCIS 10:00
November 4 MS Boys Basketball (6th grade) tournament @ St. Clare 8:00
November 7 MS Boys Basketball (7/8) vs. East Grand @ LCIS 4:30
November 8 All Star Volleyball @ Arrupe 7:00
November 8 Rocky Mountain Balfour rep will be here to take orders for graduation announcements, class rings, letter jackets, etc. 10:30-12:00
November 9 HS Fall Athletic Recognition 6:30 LCHS Auditorium
November 10 First Day of Formal Practice HS Winter Sports
November 10 MS Boys Basketball (6/7/8) vs. Summit @ LCIS 4:00
November 11 All Star Boys Soccer site TBD
November 11 MS Boys Basketball (7/8) @ Buena Vista 10:00