The Center closed until September 21st due to confirmed positive COVID-19
Lake County Families and Community,
I am reaching out today to communicate about our closure of The Center because of the two confirmed cases of COVID. We are concerned about the individuals and families of these individuals who have tested positive, and wish to offer them confidentiality and privacy during this time. We are also working closely with local public health to make sure we are being actionable in keeping other staff and students safe. As a result, we have provided information below regarding details and next steps the district will be taking.
A second employee/student at The Center has been advised by a medical professional to isolate as a result of a confirmed positive COVID-19 test result. Each case of COVID-19 is assessed by public health or a medical professional and district decisions have been made in collaboration with our local public health team and following the CDPHE guidelines.
In response to the second confirmed positive we will be closing The Center until and through the 20th of September. We anticipate reopening school on the 21st but will continue to work with local public health to make decisions toward reopening.
As part of this process we will:
- The employee(s)/student(s) with COVID-19 positive case has been instructed by a medical professional to stay at home and off campus for a minimum of 10 days or until cleared by a medical release. This is called isolation.
- Internal contact tracing has been conducted in collaboration with public health and any individuals who may have been exposed to COVID-19 are being notified by Lake County School District staff.
- District staff are continuing to work with public health to make decisions regarding the safe reopening of schools.
- Teachers at The Center will be reaching out to families today to schedule a class meeting for Friday
- On Friday, each class from The Center will have a virtual class meeting.
- Beginning Monday, all classes at The Center will run in “red” remote learning phase until a safe return to school is permissible.
- Meals will continue for The Center students. Please sign up at this link to pick up a “box” of meals for the week that will need to be picked up at the high school on Friday’s. You may contact Julie Mehle at 719-293-1040 with questions.
- Staff and students at the other buildings are not currently affected as a whole. Staff and families who may have been exposed have been, and will continue to be notified. At this time we will not be closing other schools but will continue to monitor.
As we respect the privacy of our staff and students, the name of the individual or details regarding the incident has not been released. As part of the review of the situation, it is recommended that any other individuals that may have been exposed will quarantine for 14 days and monitor for covid symptoms. Individuals in quarantine who are experiencing covid symptoms may choose to contact their health care provider to seek a covid test. Employees should continue to use diligence in their application of health practices (social distancing, hand washing, wearing masks) as a safeguard for personal health and well-being.
Thank you for your continued support in these always changing times and for your support in keeping our students and staff safe.
Dr. Bethany Massey
Lake County School District Superintendent