Fieldwork & Field Trip Requests

Great that you’re planning to do fieldwork or a field trip! This is the system you must use anytime you’re taking students off campus (other than the community field/green house).

Here’s a how-to for Planning a Field Trip/ Fieldwork in LCSD.

Step 1 – A Google form and instructions are in a Goggle folder. (Please reach out to Bunny or the front office for shared rights….we are working on trying to give district wide access.)

Step 2 – Please make a copy of the form and move to your school folder.

Step 3 – After filling the form out, please share with staff listed that you need need approval (from your principal) or have requested things of (i.e. front office, transportation, food service, etc.).

Step 4- Follow up with all everyone you need approval or assistants with.

Additional information is below to help you with the process.

Adventure vs. Regular Fieldwork in LCSD

In LCSD, Fieldwork and Field Trips are divided into 2 categories: Adventure or Regular. Here’s a little bit about how we define these categories:

Regular Fieldwork/Field trips: These experiences take place during the school day hours (not extended hours) and have students doing things that would be considered normal school activities such as: studying birds at Hayden Meadows, visiting the Tabor Opera house, walking along the Mineral Belt Trail, going to the Florissant Fossil Beds, etc.

For all regular fieldwork/field trips, you may use an opt-out letter. Below are two example opt-out letters as your starting place. If you need translation support, send only the text in the gray box to your front office with a request for translation help.

Adventure Fieldwork/Field trips: These experiences are ones in which students are participating in activities that are not as common in school (i.e. downhill skiing, camping out, mountain biking) or are activities that are beyond school hours (i.e. extended schedule, overnights, etc). If you are conducting an “Adventure” fieldwork or field trip experience, please seek support from your Principal and front office, as you will need permission slips and potentially an Adventure Fieldwork waiver (designed for outdoor adventure fieldwork). ALL ADVENTURE experiences are OPT-IN – so you will need to actively seek permission for these. 
If you are planning outdoor fieldwork, whether Adventure or Regular, reach out to Mary Palumbo, Nature-Based Learning Liaison, for support. 719.293.5169 |