Letter to LCSD Parents and Community from the School Board President
As Dr. Wyman shared in her recent update to the community, Lake County School District (LCSD) is seeking a new superintendent of schools to begin in the 2020–2021 school year. Dr. Wyman has made an incredible impact on our schools and our community. Her leadership has been transformative for our students and staff, and our achievements during her tenure have drawn statewide and national attention. Dr. Wyman’s are big shoes to fill. We look forward to celebrating her leadership and providing a proper send-off when she retires at the end of the school year.
Today, I would like to share an overview of the search for our next superintendent. The Board of Education is leading this search. One of the most important responsibilities we have is to hire and evaluate the superintendent. We are working with the Colorado Association of School Boards (CASB) to conduct our search. CASB has participated in more than 150 Colorado superintendent searches over the past 10 years and helped Lake County in the search that led to Dr. Wyman.
The school board met with CASB’s representative, Henry Roman, a few weeks ago, and we set a target to announce a new superintendent in March of 2020. The process leading to selection will include the following activities and target dates:
- September and October 2019: CASB-facilitated focus groups with staff members, parents, and community members (see schedule below)
- November 2019: Posting of the LCSD superintendent job
- January 2020: LCSD superintendent job application deadline
- February 2020: Public open house for superintendent finalists
- March 2020: Superintendent announcement
Today, we are announcing Superintendent Search focus groups for parents and members of our community on Wednesday, October 2nd. We hope you will participate. Employee focus groups will take place on September 20.
- Those attending the English event should arrive at West Park at 5:45PM.
- Those attending the Spanish event should arrive at West Park at 6:00PM.
Community Event Schedule:
- 5:45-6:45 PM: Focus Group in English
- 7:00 PM: Facility tour in English and community dinner
- 6:00 PM: Facility tour in Spanish and community dinner
- 7:00-8:00 PM: Focus Group in Spanish
We feel very fortunate to be starting this search at a time when our district is in such a strong and positive place; the community is really rallying around our schools. As we look for our next leader, we are seeking candidates who have an inspiring vision for the future of education in Leadville and who will keep us on our path toward continuous improvement by successfully empowering our teachers, staff, and school leaders.
We encourage everyone to join us for a focus group. Selecting the next superintendent is critical to ensuring a successful future for our district and our students. Upcoming communication on this topic will serve as a reminder of the October focus group dates. We will provide a more extensive update on the process in November as we prepare to open the job for applications.
LCSD School Board President