Schools on Modified Secure ~June 16th~ Update at 4:30 pm
Dear Parents, Guardians and Community,
We want you to know that we take all threats towards the school and our students seriously, and we will always move into immediate action when there is a concern brought to our attention. Our top priority as a school is to keep your children safe. We would like to provide some further details regarding today’s events, including our response.
- Yesterday afternoon a rumor was reported to school staff that a student at LCHS created “a list” of other LCHS students to which a direct threat was made.
- LCHS administration immediately pulled the student being alleged and conducted a search, both physical and digital. We did not find a weapon or a “list” as a part of this search.
- Staff did discover some concerning social media content. In response to that concern, we started our threat assessment process.
- As a part of any Threat Assessment process, we will notify a student’s family. We may also notify law enforcement and may ask a student to remain home while a threat assessment is conducted. This is not a suspension or disciplinary.
- Out of an abundance of caution, we collaborated with law enforcement to provide extra presence at our schools for our last day of school.
- This morning, it was clear that rumors were starting to spread, along with the social media content that sparked some concern from the investigation.
- We immediately put the district on a modified secure hold and we worked to get out communication to staff and families regarding our status in a modified secure hold.
- Through the day students began reporting additional rumors which school administrators began investigating. Through this process it became clear that the rumors including ones about a gun being at school and “a list” remain unsubstantiated.
- At this point in the investigation, we do not believe there is a substantial threat to the school.
We know how quickly information can get skewed, exaggerated, and falsified. It’s important we protect our entire school family, including the individuals about whom a concern may have originated. We hope this communication clears up the rumors you have heard and allows you to have informed conversations with your child about today’s events.
Thank-you for your understanding as we work to navigate situations like this in complex, challenging times.
Lake County School District